Saturday, January 28, 2017
The Giver
The second book I would like include in my literary blog is the science fiction book The Giver by Lois Lawry . The Giver takes place in a setting that is kind of like it could be a alternative society to the one we are living in now. The book is in a way a pre-warning of things to come if we do not change our ways. This could be because of us letting government take too much control (i.e. a extreme radical form of Communism) or the fact that world is too much and we need to simplify it too take away the conflict that divides us. The main character Jonas is chosen to become the new receiver of memories from The Giver. The memories are kept by certain people as they feel that the masses aren't able to properly process the way things used to be. Upon going through his training Jonas realizes the way they are living is wrong and he needs to do something, what that something is he does not know. Jonas then begins to plot what he can do to in order to restore what he can to society. The book is very thought provoking to me now in my older days than when I read it when I was younger. I remember really starting to like the book when I heard the song "My name is Jonas" by Weezer as they made me feel it was ok to like it. The message I see now is more that we need to be more informed and at the same time we need to be better people so that our society would enver become what Jonas had to endure.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment